Wednesday 8 August 2012

V Diet 2: Days 33-35


Days 33-35

Day 33: Evening Dinner

The small posh dinner, mentioned in the last post, warrants its own section as it was my biggest failure.

The guidelines of the velocity diet say that the healthy solid meal should consist of a source of protein, veggies/salad, starch (small amount) and some fruit for dessert. Alcohol is not allowed but in one post Shugart does say that a glass of wine with a HSM at a restaurant (or appropriate setting) is fine. However, it is is not encouraged as he says it can easily slip into a drinking night out with the lads.

The group dinner was planned before I started the diet and I knew that with a set menu it would be difficult to stick to the guidelines. However, I couldn't start the diet earlier for other reasons so would have to try the best I could.  Alcohol wise, the plan was to have 1 or 2 glasses of wine and a glass of the post dinner drink. I knew this was more than the 1 glass of wine at a restaurant rule but this certainly isn't going to turn into a drunken night out with the lads and I was very keen to enjoy the wine. 

Starters: Figs with goats cheese


This was deliciously sweet. Figs are quite sweet but I wouldn't be surprised if they had added sugar. However, as the options go it was the one with the lowest carbs.

Main: Roast beef with mushrooms and potatoes


The meat literally melted in my mouth. I drool thinking about it. The mushrooms were good and I could ignore the potatoes so that went well.

Dessert: Crème Brule



Ok this clearly had a lot more sugar than a portion of fruit. However, I could crack the top, eat the spoonful of the cream at the bottom and mush it around pretending that I've eaten it. I did eat some of the biscotti. That was bad but oh sooo good. 

Alcohol: How many glasses did I have?

Honestly, I'm not sure. The problem with posh dinners, as opposed to cheap restaurants or at home, is that the waiters just keep pouring you wine until you run out. They don't wait till the glass is empty but pour whilst you aren't looking. If I didn't know better I'd thought the waiter was trying to get me drunk....I could guestimate (from the bill) that I had 2 glasses of wine and 2 (maybe 3) glasses of sherry but it felt more than that.

What happened after?

I started walking home with my supervisor. I was having a very good conversation regarding my career when I passed some friends who were in a bar. I decided to stay and have a chat with them. I remember being a little bit tipsy but I didn't feel drunk. My friends were drinking some white port, which I love, and offered me some. I had a couple (2- I think) glasses, thinking it isn't a lot, especially on top of what I've already had and then stopped and turned to soft drinks. Randomly, I found myself in a club, surrounded by d*cks. I then decided to get a taxi home.

What was the failure?

When I got home I rushed to the toilet and was violently sick. I was vomiting most of the night and the next morning. Clearly, I drank too much alcohol. I then missed the shake that evening. This is certainly cheating, no excuses.

Am I an alcoholic?

A few years ago I would've easily drank double the wine and more afterwards, in a shorter period of time and wouldn't have been so bad. The difference now is that I only had 1 solid meal that day and hardly any of that absorbs alcohol as well as the carbs that I used to eat. A lot of drinking experience has taught me that when I drink alcohol, bread is very good at sobering me up. However, this doesn't mean I plan to eat bread in future, I just need to be careful with the amount I drink and adjust my limits. In summary, I don't think I'm an alcoholic, after all I did stop when I thought was sensible, it is just a shame that my judgement was a bit blurred and didn't come earlier.

Day 34

I woke up after a very rough night, had a quick shower and went off for a breakfast with coach who was saddly leaving us. We often went for a full English Breakfast and I thought it would help me recover. It didn't. Even whilst eating I had to go and vomit. Nothing I ate would stay down. I ended up going home and going to sleep.

I missed a shake as a I was asleep. I woke up and was quite hungry but I really wanted/felt I needed a solid meal. I figured a low carb meal of eggs and bacon would be fine as I'm allowed one meal a day and the breakfast wouldn't count as I didn't absorb any of it. I went to the first little 'cafe' (greasy spoon) I could find. I ordered eggs and sausages (no bacon) and was asked “Would you like chips with that?”. “No thanks, was my reply”. I wanted to reply, “No, stop trying to make me fat, you b*****ds”. I ended up with chips on my plate. I tried 1 or 2. They were pretty disgusting.


Day 35

I finally recovered from Friday night (day 34). I had a wedding this day. I had no idea (and no choice) what the menu was so I was a bit worried. I brought a shake with me so I wouldn't miss one out. I had no intention to drink alcohol this time.

This was quite a long day. After the ceremony we were offered alcohol and cake. I rejected both. Shake 3 helped a lot but getting water for it was surprisingly difficult. The original choice I was offered was alcohol and sugar (Pimms and lemonade) or just sugary water (elderflower water). The waitress finally agreed to give me a glass of normal tap water after I explained I needed it for 'medical reasons'. I managed to hide away and have my shake.

The wedding cake I never ate


Starters: Melon with strawberry soup



A very sweet starters. Too sweet for my taste buds but tasty and given it is only fruit it is probably healthy. Normally I would have this for dessert though. 

Main: Guinea Fowl in bacon and cheese


Guinea Fowl is nicer than chicken, bacon was good and cheese was good. All of this was healthy too. I was very happy. I had a small potato with it and that was it.

Dessert: Hot Chocolate Cake with ice cream

Clearly unhealthy. I mushed it around. Took a tiny taste, mushed it around more and left it. It smelt amazing but wasn't that tempting.

I was quite hungry after this. I had to leave anyway and was very lucky that I found some cheese too. I helped myself to some as I think this is a good protein rich dessert.  


I then left the wedding and took the train to London where I was going to spend week 6. 


No comments:

Post a Comment